Saturday, May 06, 2006

Time & Backpacker killer baijiu in Saga

Plan to Beijing Saga International Youth Hostel
I stayed in the Saga International Youth Hostel, the best youth hostel ever may I say. Not because of the staff or the service, but because I had the chance to land in the funniest backpackers atmosphere. I’ll briefly describe the kind of people I met there for you to understand how the cocktail was explosive. The best example is this French guy named Hubert, he had just arrived to China to work in a company on wind power exploitation. His dream happened to be as weird as riding a horse in the desert, but he would take a surf board too in case he makes it to west coast America. Meanwhile my two weeks trip, his job sent him to Inner Mongolia by plane for one day, and the way back was by cab. You should check out the distances to realize how wicked it is. Finally, this guy asked me: “You’ve been living here for 5 months, you should have a clue, here is what I wanna do: I’d like to ask a Chinese farmer to take me with him during 5 days. I want him to teach me how to take care of a horse and how to ride it. I wanna work with him, eat with him, live with him all day long. How much money should I put on the table for a Chinese farmer to accept me?”.
Plus there was an Israeli woman freshly out of her military duty, she decided to travel in and out Asia during 3 months. Some other guys staying in Beijing for a while, looking for a job or starting a new one drew the perspective of not passing by Beijing, but living in the city. Thus the discussions and relations got strong in a weird but so nice way.
We were Friday night, and all these foreigners where hitting the hostel after work as I was dissecting my guide to plan the next week. Stories and anecdotes counted by these Marco Polos of the 21st century where the background blabla sound of the lobby when Pierre came in, holding tight a bottle of Baijiu. “Alright, now it is getting tough” I thought, with the birthday parties in my mind. The backpackers were split into two groups after the first shot: discouraged novices and the others remembering what they were going into (willing to do it again). I am in none of these groups since I am not a baijiu novice, but still, I don’t remember a lot of it thanks to the alcohol effect. I refused to go on though, but only because I had to be up early the next morning to hit the airport (I usually come up with good excuses), and watched the game take place.
The game - Initial rules:
Player 1 starts to count from 1 and indicates his right or left. According to the way, the designated next player says 2 and so on until 21. The thing is that if one player says two numbers, the next player is skipped. And if one player says three numbers the rotation way is switched. The player who messes the numbers up has to Gambei and everything starts over.
You probably know this game as it is a classic, however, in this atmosphere, every one has stories of China to tell, every one is distracted by the come and go of the lobby, and no one is willing to win. To get it harder and to drink more, each time some one makes a mistake, new rules are added. I wrote them down as they are unique:
  1. At 10 take your hand to your head and salute the Queen
  2. Unevens: Raise your hands to the sky
  3. Multiple of 5: Scream "Oh lala!!" with the prettiest french voice
  4. Swaps: say 2 instead of 7, 7 instead of 2, 12 instead of 17 and 17 instead of 12
  5. At 4, say it in russian: "Cheteree"
  6. Stop at 20 instead of 21
  7. At 11 remind the direction to the others by touching the next one's shoulder, be careful if you just said 2 or 3 numbers
  8. Don't ask questions about the rules
  9. Play it in Chinese
Think about how the game is going on and how the people in the lobby are staring at this weird circus, trying to understand the rules and to figure out what this strange smell of alcohol is...

No comments: