Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Jianzi (毽子)

If the temperature outside is -15 C°, if you are stuck with a friend in a 3 square meters room and if you want to lose some weight, Jianzi is what you need. Wikipedia gives a more detailed explanation of this sport. You can find the rules in English and in French on the websites of the Jianzi federations. I advise you to watch the videos on the French federation's website (bottom of the page).
Jianzi is a very popular activity in China, no matter how old you are, you can burn calories in parcs all over the country: there are always people practicing somewhere...



We have been playing this game for almost 3 months now; I discovered the federations a few days ago. What a shame! I thought we were the only players on earth! We had our own techniques and our own trick names:
  • Black lotus
  • Pigeon wing
  • Out of control
  • Kiss of death
I'll upload some videos of us kickin' the Jianzi as soon as we record them :)
You will see, even the Hungarians cannot challenge us. We break a Jianzi every two days, and believe me, it has nothing to do with the quality of Chinese Jianzis. Ours are made with feather of chickens killed by bird flu and balanced by peaces of soda cans.

2 comments:

Sky and Earth said...

thats an interesting way to loose weight in a limitted place at -15 . but I like the name of techniques .and try to imagine the movement which goes with them. I add couple even if I dont know the game..you adapt them to tricks.. Sarıkanat (lüferin küçüğü) ,chop stick for delicate hit...cool...good one julien

Julien said...

Chop stick for delicate hit sounds good: gently hit the Jianzi with toes :)
Sarıkanat, i really don't see! I'll think about it and contact the federation soon..